Next Steps – Get Prepared and Assemble your Documents!!

Needs assessment means the health check by a needs assessor to see if you need ongoing residential care, and the level of care required. A needs assessor is the person who carries out your need’s assessment. Your DHB will arrange for a needs assessor to assess your need for ongoing residential care.

Once an appointment has been made with NASC, a needs assessor will visit your home to identify and discuss the specific health requirements of the person requiring care.  This is a necessary step to complete the needs assessment and may include a specialist geriatric assessment. If your family member or close friend is already hospitalised, the hospital can arrange a needs assessment in the ward.

After completing the needs assessment, the NASC will help you devise a plan of action to facilitate the commencement of the services you are entitled to and authorise entry into residential care facility that provides you with the assessed level of care required.

Your needs assessor will give you a list with all the residential care facilities in your area.

Financial means assessment means an assessment of your assets and income, which is carried out by the Specialised Processing Services of Work and Income.

 If the financial means assessment shows that your assets are below the defined asset threshold:

  • You qualify for government funding through the Residential Care Subsidy
  • Work and Income will then assess your income and tell you how much of this you need to pay towards the cost of your care. This will include most of your New Zealand Superannuation and also any other income you receive.

If the financial means assessment shows that your assets are above the defined asset threshold:

  • you do not qualify for the Subsidy
  • you pay the cost of rest home care up to the maximum contribution for your area (see section 6, page 15 for more information)
  • you may qualify for a residential care loan. You can apply for this through Work and Income.

Each of these steps is explained more fully in the MOH Long-term Residential Care for Older People What you need to know 2010 – revised 2019

Show link

Choosing the right residential care facility is not always easy and can be a stressful experience. After all, you will be concerned that your partner/family member is safe and in appropriate care.  The Ministry of Health conducts regular audits to ensure all residential care facilities to ensure they meet the standards of the Health and Disability Services (Safety) Act 2001. These audits can be read on the MOH website.

Before moving into a Mercy Parklands, an admission agreement or contract needs to be signed. The purpose of the admission agreement is to protect the resident and Mercy Parklands by setting out the responsibilities and expectations of both parties.  The admission agreement is a legal document that specifies such things as extra services you have agreed to receive and pay for, costs and extra charges, liability for damage or loss of belongings of the resident, resident safety, transport, procedures, and complaint processes.